While summer is ending here in Norway and fall is arriving. I am desperately trying to hang on to what I can of the Sun and the fresh summer plants. For example I started my herb garden this year (next year our growing season will last longer because of the green house) and I tried my hand at several herbs including basil! I love cooking with fresh herbs as it adds a level of intensity into the flavoring of the dish. These Caprese Bites are amazing with fresh basil.
This recipe could be used as an appetizer for a party or a typical afternoon snack. I made these as after school snacks for our kids. They are always hungry when they get home from Barnehagen and I never want them to snack to much because dinner is always soon after they get home so I had to come up with a delicious yet healthy snack for them. Between the two of them they can sit down and eat a pint of tomatoes in like 15 minutes (they get that from me). With having my fresh basil outside and the fact we always have tomatoes for the kids to snack on I knew exactly what I would create for them.
These are extremely easy and quick to make and even the kids can help skewer all the ingredients together.
- small mozzarella balls (size of grapes)
- grape tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves
- tooth picks
- ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 T of Dijon mustard
- dash of pink salt
- dash of black pepper
- dash of cayenne pepper
- For the Caprese Bites.... wrap the cheese balls with one basil leaf. Skewer the basil-wrapped cheese, and then the tomato with a toothpick. Shake generous amount of pink salt on bites.
- For the Balsamic Dip…add the vinegar, mustard, salt, and both peppers to a bowl and whisk. Add the olive oil and continue whisking until the dip is emulsified.
- Serve immediately. Dip Caprese Bites into Balsamic Dip and enjoy!
Who doesn’t love fresh basil, mozzarella and tomatoes all combined? This combination is extremely fresh and tasty. Combine these bites with this amazing dip you will have an explosion of flavor.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive a commission, at no cost to you, when you choose to purchase from the links provided. See the Disclosure Policy for more information.
SIGN UP TO GET ACCESS TO OUR MEMBER ONLY LIBRARY